Above, the Speaking About Wellness for Women, held at the Country Club of the South, drew more than 70 community members who enjoyed lunch, informative presentations from five physicians and interactive health and wellness information booths. Shown are, from left, presenters Mark McLaughlin, M.D., radiation oncologist; Laura Pearson, M.D., breast surgeon; Evelyn Reynolds, M.D., gynecologic oncologist; Qin Zhang, M.D., medical oncologist; and Sarah Bentley, RN, oncology services manager. (Not pictured: Theolyn Price, M.D., thoracic surgeon)
Sometimes what you’re looking for is right in your own backyard. That was the message a panel of top-notch oncologists delivered on April 26 at WellStar North Fulton Hospital’s Speaking about Wellness for Women Signature Event, “No One Fights Alone—Updates on Women’s Cancers and Treatments.” When it comes to women’s cancer care, there’s no need to travel across town or across the country for diagnosis and treatment. WellStar North Fulton Hospital offers state-of-the-art care, close to home.
Did you know North Fulton Hospital:
• Offers 3D mammography, clinically proven to provide more accurate breast cancer screenings, and reduce false-positive call backs
• Uses the most up-to-date robotic equipment to exceed the national quality benchmark* stating at least 80 percent of endometrial cancer surgeries should be minimally invasive
• Has a partnership with Mayo Clinic, giving patients ready access to clinical trials, second opinions and consultations
• Is home to two Specialty Teams and Treatment (STAT) clinics, one for lung cancer, and one for breast cancer, enabling patients to start treatment faster, increasing their chances of beating the disease. This innovative concept, unique in metro Atlanta, allows patients to meet with a multidisciplinary team of physicians and specialists in one day, in one setting. Treatment is typically started within days instead of weeks or months. The concept was created at WellStar Kennestone Hospital in 2006, and expanded to WellStar Cobb, Douglas, and North Fulton hospitals.
• Has highly qualified physicians, who have practiced at large, well-known institutions and strongly believe in collaboration and communication
• Offers genetic tumor analysis, the latest treatment technology, counseling and an oncology registered
• Has a state-of-the-art Radiation Therapy Consult Clinic
“At North Fulton Hospital, we’re small enough that we can see you quickly,” said Qin Zhang, M.D., medical oncologist. “We get your treatment started within days, and we have a team that truly cares—no egos here. Plus, you don’t have to pay to park!”
Here are a few interesting facts discussed by WellStar physicians at the Speaking about Wellness for Women event:
Margie’s Law, HB 62, signed by Governor Kemp on May 2, requires women to be informed of their breast density after their mammogram; 37 other states have similar legislation. Dense breasts could increase the risk for breast cancer; breast density is important for women to be aware of so they can discuss preventive measures with their physicians. The law takes effect July 1, 2019.
Older women are more at risk for cancer; after menopause, it’s still important to visit your doctor and keep screenings up-to-date
Lung cancer is the number-one cancer killer in women (and men); prevention and screening are key
Radiation is highly advanced today, with treatment customized for each patient, and minimal side effects; technology is currently being developed that will enable physicians to provide radiation treatment during surgery